If You Enjoy Uncovered Texas
DONATE $5 or $10 To Keep Us Online


Site Of Arlington Downs Racetrack

Home

>

Historical Markers

>

Site Of Arlington Downs Racetrack
 Arlington Tarrant County Texas

Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack

Wealthy rancher and oilman W. T. Waggoner (1852-1934) developed a stable of fine Thoroughbreds and quarter horses at his ranch here in the 1920s. At this site he built Arlington Downs, a one-and-one quarter mile race track with a 6,000-seat grandstand. Racing days drew thousands of spectators including numerous celebrities. Waggoner and his sons Guy (1883-1950) and Paul (1889-1967) campaigned for pari-mutuel betting, which was legalized in Texas from 1934 to 1937. The Racetrack was used for rodeos and other events before the buildings were razed in 1958. (1978)

2225 East Randol Mill Rd. Arlington, Texas

Tarrant County

Year Erected: 1978

Marker Type: 18" x 28"

Tarrant County Markers

  <<  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  >> 

Greater Saint James Baptist Church


Founded in 1895 by the Rev. J. Francis Robinson and members of Mt. Gilead Baptist Church, St. James Baptist Church, first met in the local Y.M.C.A. building. Construction of this building began
Greater Saint James Baptist Church

Gunhild Weber House


This was the first home built in a 1907 subdivision opened by D.T. Bomar and John W. Broad. It shows influences from the West Coast, where Broad lived from 1896 to 1906. Charles K. Lee, later a
Gunhild Weber House

Handley Cemetery


This burial ground originally served the pioneer settlers of the Handley Community, which developed here soon after the Texas and Pacific Railroad built a line to the area in 1876. The earliest m
Handley Cemetery

Handley United Methodist Church


This congregation was organized in 1877, shortly after the railroad town of Handley was established. The Rev. J.J. Cannafax, who was the first minister, also served as the town's first school te
Handley United Methodist Church

Harper's Rest Cemetery


Henry Jackson Harper (1844-1928) brought his family to this area from Tennessee in 1894. This cemetery was begun when the child of a family traveling through the area died and was buried in grove of t
Harper's Rest Cemetery

Harrison Cemetery


When first used, this one-acre cemetery belonged to Tarrant County pioneer D.C. Harrison. The earliest known grave is that of Mary E. Harrison (1864-71). Several early settlers used this site,
Harrison Cemetery

Hell's Half Acre


A notorious red light district known as Hell's Half Acre developed in this section of Fort Worth after the arrival of the Texas and Pacific Railway in 1876 launched a local economic boom. Fort Worth
Hell's Half Acre

Hemphill Presbyterian Church


This Neo-Classical auditorium was built in 1925 to serve the increasing membership of Hemphill Presbyterian Church. Dedicated the following year, the building features a brick parapet and a bay w
Hemphill Presbyterian Church

Henry M. Williams Home


A native of Georgia, Henry W. Williams (d. 1925) was the founder of the H.W. Williams Wholesale Drug Company and a prominent Fort Worth banker. This Colonial Revival residence was built for him b
Henry M. Williams Home

Herbert M. Hinckley


Engineering innovator who designed this dome for 1936 Texas Centennial. Staked reputation on plan (which uses a unique way of connecting radial arches at peak) despite doubts of many expert
Herbert M. Hinckley