Young Men's Christian Association of Beaumont
The 1901 Spindletop oil boom brought vice, corruption and inadequate housing problems to Beaumont. H. G. Behrman, a young man who was sleeping in a tent in his friend's backyard, met W. M. Lewis, state secretary of the YMCA. Through their efforts, a community meeting was held Nov. 3, 1901, and the Beaumont YMCA was organized. A board was elected, George W. Carroll was named president, and all 35 present enrolled in the association. The board authorized the purchase of a lot and erection of a structure. In 1903 a building at Pearl and Forsythe streets was completed. Among its features were 30 dormitory rooms, an 800-seat auditorium, bowling alley, and indoor swimming pool. In 1928, General Secretary Dr. Hastings Harrison, Charles Berly, B. A. Steinhagen, J. L. C. McFaddin, Marrs McLean, W. Emmett Sampson, and other civic and religious leaders raised $316,000 to construct a modern building. Dr. Harrison was responsible for securing the first YMCA board member of the Jewish faith in the United States and for beginning the Garth Friendship Club for 200 underprivileged boys. Steinhagen in 1936 provided a building for blacks. Since 1970, to insure service to a growing and changing community, suburban branches have been established.
934 Calder Avenue Beaumont, Texas
Year Erected: 1979
Marker Type: 27" x 42"