Duke, Holmes, House
A native of Carthage, Texas, Holmes Duke came to Beaumont in the late 19th century and purchased property at this site in 1898. Construction on his home began shortly thereafter. Completed in 1899, the Holmes Duke house features influences of the Queen Anne and colonial revival styles of architecture. Prominent features include the two semi-circular bays on either side of the front door and the projecting gable over the entry that is decorated with sunburst motifs. Columns are set in groups at each corner of the porch, while the side gables feature fish-scale shingling. Holmes Duke was a pioneer resident of Beaumont and for many years was active in the city's political, civic, and business affairs. In 1901, he built the Duke Hotel on Liberty Avenue and managed it until 1910. Duke served as an alderman on the Beaumont City Council from 1905 until 1908 and later held office as the city health inspector. Duke also was known as an inventor and operated several restaurants in the area. Holmes Duke lived here until his death in 1946. The structure remained in his family, however, until 1980. It is one of the few structures remaining in Beaumont that predates the 1901 Spindletop oil boom. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986
694 Forrest St. at North Beaumont, Texas
Year Erected: 1986
Marker Type: 27" x 42"