Potter County Library
The Potter County free library was organized in 1902 by twelve local women. Many citizens donated books, and held bazaars, candy sales, and other activities to raise money to purchase more books. Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Willis donated a lot and house for the first library building. As these accommodations were outgrown, the library moved to the old post office, the fire station, and to city hall. The Potter County commissioners court granted approval for a county-supported library in July 1921. This building was designed by Amarillo Architects J. Roy Smith and W.C. Townes, and was built in 1922 by the W.M. Rice construction company at a cost of $25,000. The basement of the library was used as a public lounge to meet the needs of women shoppers and their children, and tourists. The facility included a living room, lunch room, assembly hall and resting room, and was staffed by a matron. A significant local example of an institutional building of the 1920's, this structure exhibits the clean lines, horizontal emphasis, and geometric detailing typical of the prairie school style of architecture. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1996
519 South Taylor St. Amarillo, Texas 79101-2432
Year Erected: 1996
Marker Type: 27" x 42"