AFTON, TEXAS (Fisher County). Afton is on Farm Road 92 five miles west of Hamlin in northeastern Fisher County. The area was settled by the Afton family in the late nineteenth century. About 1889 a school was built at the site of the Afton cemetery. Church services were held in the school for a time, and a church building was erected nearby some years later. In 1892 Afton was granted a post office, which closed the following year. The school was consolidated with that of nearby Hitson a few years later. In 1940 Afton had a church, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings, and by 1965 all that remained was the cemetery.