Hashknife Ranch, Site of the Old Headquarters of the
Place where representative of Texas & Pacific Railroad met local men in 1880 to decide on site for cattle shipping center. As a result, a town was platted here and named Abilene for the famous cattle town in Kansas. Cattlemen meeting with the T. & P. representative were John N. Simpson, Hashknife co-owner and Dallas banker, and Colonel Clabe W. and J. D. Merchant, brothers and ranchers who had moved large holdings into West Texas, 1875. Brisk biddings ensued at lots sale in March 1881. Abilene thus began role later expanded into West Texas area leadership. (1968)
Will Hair Park, Ambler St. Abilene, Texas
Year Erected: 1968
Marker Type: 18" x 28"